Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#9015 - 11/06/06 06:26 AM Re: question about public schools policies
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
 Quote:
Originally posted by VioletBeauregarde:
God forbid that the public schools ever make sports a "pay to play" system like alot of private schools do so the rest of us that don't have kids in those programs or that don't care about them don't have to support them anymore. Taxes collected could go to the academic good and probably greatly improve.
I don't know about all states but here in Idaho, taxes do NOT support school athletics. They are funded by community sponsors, fundraisers, family/friends.

#9016 - 11/06/06 06:51 AM Re: question about public schools policies
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by xstitch4me:
I don't know about all states but here in Idaho, taxes do NOT support school athletics. They are funded by community sponsors, fundraisers, family/friends.
Are you certain that absolutely none of the costs associated with athletics are paid by taxpayers? I know that when our new highschool here was built just a few years ago, at a cost of almost 80 million dollars, approximately half of that cost was for "non-academic" structures, ie football stadium, gymnasium, pool, auditorium, etc. I can't imagine that any school could fund such structures outside of taxes. Now maybe things like uniforms, travel for games, etc, are borne by the players, sponsors, fundraisers, etc, but those expenses are small compared to the building costs.

#9017 - 11/06/06 07:11 AM Re: question about public schools policies
VioletBeauregarde Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Alabama
If you pay property taxes you're supporting your schools programs- ALL OF THEM - whether or not you choose to support one thing or another. ALL STATES with property taxes are supporting the schools. The government funding comes based on free lunch/title I programs that are in your district and then by building break down based on economic status of the area.

#9018 - 11/06/06 07:19 AM Re: question about public schools policies
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

I've been thinking about some of the comments in this thread about public schools, especially Violet's comparisons with the European system. It's important to remember that the public school system is attempting to educate the masses, as opposed to finding the perfect solution for every single individual. With that in mind, I was thinking some more about what Violet said about some students being steered into programs to prepare for a skill or a trade, rather than college prep. Overall that might not be a bad thing. Perhaps there could be testing that didn't mandate a particular track for highschool, but that was used to give guidance and suggestions. Or if their test results didn't look promising, they could stay on the academic track for a certain probationary period of time. If a student still did not do well academically, s/he could be given various program choices that would be more suitable for his/her abilities and interests.

The highschool graduation rate in my state is pretty abysmal--seventy-some percent. That means almost 30% of kids are entering adulthood without a highschool diploma, without training for any particular work, without much hope for a good future at all. If these kids (who most likely were already struggling academically by 8th grade) had been strongly encouraged to learn a trade, rather than continuing to sit in classes where they were diagramming sentences, learning about the French and Indian War, and other factoids that they see no relevance in, they could have made much better use of their teen years in preparing for a skill or trade.

And don't knock skilled laborers! At the place where my husband works as an engineer, the skilled workers can quickly work their way up to $30/hour, with overtime of $45/hr on Sat and $60/hr on Sundays!

#9019 - 11/06/06 08:28 AM Re: question about public schools policies
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
Don't all states have Vocational/Technical schools that high school students can choose to attend rather than traditional non-vocational high schools? I think students can make that choice already.

#9020 - 11/06/06 08:40 AM Re: question about public schools policies
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

In the town I grew up in, students had that choice, but there aren't any Voc/Tech schools where we live now (same state, different area).

#9021 - 11/06/06 08:48 AM Re: question about public schools policies
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
I know in my town they've done away with many of the vocational programs at the high schools. Only a select few high schools have them.

#9022 - 11/06/06 09:58 AM Re: question about public schools policies
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
What a shame!

#9023 - 11/26/06 12:12 PM Re: question about public schools policies
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
Just wanted to give an update, if anyone is interested. At the suggestion of several people, I wrote a letter about the educational opportunities that the girls will have on our trip, and gave it to the school office. So now we officially have the school's approval and an approved "educational enhancement oppportunity" form.
My next problem is twin 5 year olds with ear infections and we're leaving Tuesday! But I think I can manage that one....

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics