Topic Options
#65838 - 01/16/16 07:01 AM Adult transfer student...advice please :)
CarrieGirl Offline

I just wanted to see if anyone might be able to give me their opinion?

I have an adult transfer student beginning soon. Despite the last piano teacher giving him grade 2 level pieces (Clementi) to play, and though he can play them reasonably well, he doesn't know anything about time signatures, has trouble reading bass clef, has never been taught to identify intervals, broken chords etc, has never pedalled before and doesn't know much about technique. He wants to continue learning classical music as he prefers it, but expressed the fact that except for the 'pieces' his previous teacher taught him, he can't play anything else (which was no surprise to me of course... and I can't help but feel annoyed at teachers who spoon feed their students and simply don't arm them with the knowledge). Anyway, I'm in two minds about whether to start him at 3A with perhaps initial lessons prior, going over the basics including introducing pedalling, intervals, chords I, IV & V... etc choosing some pieces from the Piano Literature series and 2B to reinforce... then comfortably moving into 3A.... or perhaps I should just start him at 2B (or would that be taking him too far back?). I feel he may be at level 3A given the 'standard' of music he had been playing... but concerned it assumes he has done pedalling, intervallic reading... etc which he has not. I don't think the 'adult series' would suit, as I feel the music may not suit him.

What do you all think? I love the Literature series and Sonatinas as a supplementary which I feel he would thoroughly enjoy, however, I need to ensure he has a good sound knowledge base to build upon and an understanding of what he is playing and how he is playing it. This of course, takes time and can't be rushed in a few lessons. What do you think? I'd love any thoughts/advice xxx

#65840 - 01/16/16 08:36 AM Re: Adult transfer student...advice please :) [Re: CarrieGirl]
CarrieGirl Offline

Well I've done it again - I post something, then discover the answer for myself! smile

I think after looking at the Adult series Book 2, it might be a better place to start the student. 3A assumes quite a bit, but the Adult Book 2 is picking things up at a good safe point, and it provides a wonderful and comprehensive overview of the fundamentals, introducing all the elements (i.e. pedalling, primary chords, intervals, technique etc) systematically. I can provide the supplementary pieces with the Literature series and Sonatinas over time, so that he is more than happy with the music he is playing.

Gee, I hope I get better at figuring out where to place 'transfer' students, I find it requires a great deal of thought. I think I was stuck on the idea of '3A' due to the type of music the student showed me, but couldn't help but feel there were just too many gaps in his knowledge... so I then considered a level lower (2B)... but the 'adult' series is a much more suitable approach in every way. It's tricky placing transfer students, particularly adults as they are reluctant to tell you just how little they know, and would rather try to impress. I'm much more interested in knowing what they DON'T know smile So I can help them fill in the gaps and become more confident at playing the piano and have a more enjoyable experience smile

I'd still welcome any thoughts you might have, and am appreciative of any wisdom offered x

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts