Topic Options
#65652 - 05/08/15 10:03 AM Has anyone used MFPA for 3 year olds? 4 year olds?
AmyEliz Offline
Resident Member

Hi, everyone.

I know it's written for ages 5 and 6.

Has anyone had success with this method with ages 3 and 4? With parental help and guidance at home, of course!

I'm doing WunderKeys right now with 3 and 4 year olds - and sometimes it strikes me that the later 4 year olds might do well with MFPA as a starter method.

I've also looked at Music for Litrle Mozarts boooks(advertised as being for ages 3 and 4), and I really like the look of the curriculum.

Yet I still wonder about MFPA, because I like it so much.... but for ages 3 and 4?

Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

Edited by AmyEliz (05/08/15 10:04 AM)

#65655 - 05/11/15 03:23 PM Re: Has anyone used MFPA for 3 year olds? 4 year olds? [Re: AmyEliz]
Jon Administrator Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Thank you for your post! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying My First Piano Adventure. Though the course was designed for 5-year olds, it could be adapted for preschool age children if taken very s-l-o-w-l-y with lots of parental involvement. We would recommend the introduction of songs through singing with and without the CD, lots of movement with the CD, and conversations about the friends at the piano characters in the book to meet the playful spirit of this young age group.

#65665 - 05/20/15 11:58 PM Re: Has anyone used MFPA for 3 year olds? 4 year olds? [Re: Jon]
PianoAddict Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
I've been very successful with using MFPA for 4 year olds provided they can recognize letters A through G, numbers 1-5 and identify colors. Progress is much slower as Jon said. It could take up to a year to complete book A alone and up to 3 years to complete the entire MFPA series. But that's ok--it's fun and gives them plenty of practice! By the time they get to level one, they have a very solid foundation.
With 4 year olds, I constantly have them review previous songs, especially when practicing at home with parents. We also interact with piano friends and use highlighter tape for quicker note recognition.

I do not recommend MFPA for 3 year olds as the progression is too fast. 3 year olds need to spend a lot of time with LH/RH games, identifying piano keys and letters and finger numbers. Bastien has a preschool method (Piano Party) and there is also Pianimals. Hope that helps!

#65788 - 10/11/15 12:06 PM Re: Has anyone used MFPA for 3 year olds? 4 year olds? [Re: PianoAddict]
AmyEliz Offline
Resident Member

A belated Thank you to all!

Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums