Topic Options
#65766 - 09/20/15 07:36 PM Starting 4-year-old who only speaks Spanish
techfiddle Offline
Contributing Member

I started a 4yo piano student last week--have been teaching his sister violin, starting last May, with great success and no problems. But I only last week realized he doesn't have any English. Parents are professionals from Mexico.

I think I can make up small idea things with stickers and so on, but if anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it. I had them buy the Primers books, but those are not going to work for a while, I think.

TIA

#65768 - 09/21/15 09:59 AM Re: Starting 4-year-old who only speaks Spanish [Re: techfiddle]
EllaCat Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Oh wow, not sure what to suggest! Do you normally teach kids that age? I'm sure his english will come along once he's in school, but until then I really don't know how you could do a lesson. Personally I'd have to turn the student away as I need to be able to talk with my students.

#65769 - 09/21/15 10:16 AM Re: Starting 4-year-old who only speaks Spanish [Re: EllaCat]
techfiddle Offline
Contributing Member

I've taught a lot of children who are only beginning to learn English, mostly Asian students, but the problem here is, he's FOUR. Mom is there to translate, however.

I do teach them starting at age four though it is more usual to have them come in ages 7-9.

Edited by techfiddle (09/21/15 10:42 AM)

#65770 - 09/21/15 02:51 PM Re: Starting 4-year-old who only speaks Spanish [Re: techfiddle]
EllaCat Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Ahhh wish I could be of some help to you. I only teach 6+ because working with really young kids just isn't my strength. Best of luck and hope it works out!

#65771 - 09/22/15 07:16 AM Re: Starting 4-year-old who only speaks Spanish [Re: EllaCat]
Bridget Offline

Loc: Ohio
I might try WunderKeys with him. The material will be easier for his age, the pictures are fun and will imply some techniques that you can model instead of trying to explain, and children at that age are not expected to read well anyway. I'm assuming if they are living here they will begin to pick up some English through preschool classes or daycare.
Thinking of specific lessons in WunderKeys with "polite" sounds or "rude" sounds it would be very easy to play something nice with a smile and hit the keys a few times with a frown to get your point across.
Using google translate to just translate a few keys words might be helpful and writing them in on his books. It sounds like mom and dad likely speak English as well or at least the sister, and they could take a few moments to go over his lessons with him.

#65779 - 10/07/15 09:19 AM Re: Starting 4-year-old who only speaks Spanish [Re: techfiddle]
Jon Administrator Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
For when the student is a little older, I want to make sure you hear about the new Spanish editions of basic Piano Adventures! Learn more at PianoAdventures-es.com and
http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?menuid=18623&seriesfeature=&subsiteid=64

Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts

Max Online: 1422 @ 10/03/16 05:11 PM