Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#65684 - 06/06/15 04:12 PM Re: Counting Out Loud--They hate it [Re: PianoAddict]
Bridget Offline

Loc: Ohio
When this happens it's sometimes helpful to find a level-appropriate version of a song you're sure they'll love. It can be a gamble as to which songs they'll love or hate out of a lesson book, but if you can find a level 3 version of a pop song that's a radio hit or a song from a movie you know she loves, you'll put the love back into learning. I find that when music is "special" the students are willing to put loads more work into it. Even learning new concepts becomes fun because they are playing cooler music. Bring back the enjoyment with some quick progress for a few weeks, then get back to business.

#65685 - 06/06/15 05:02 PM Re: Counting Out Loud--They hate it [Re: Bridget]
PianoAddict Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
Thanks, Bridget! This situation just reminds me to keep checking in with parents and students to make sure everything is going ok. I don't know if they don't tell me. Frustrating....but I hope we can work it out.

#65686 - 06/08/15 02:26 PM Re: Counting Out Loud--They hate it [Re: PianoAddict]
Bridget Offline

Good luck to you! Once you break through this wall it will all be worth it!

#65690 - 06/15/15 07:47 AM Re: Counting Out Loud--They hate it [Re: Bridget]
Bridget Offline

http://www.teachpianotoday.com/2015/06/1...-hate-to-count/

I got this in an email this morning, and immediately thought of this thread! Hope it helps some!!

#65691 - 06/15/15 09:31 PM Re: Counting Out Loud--They hate it [Re: PianoAddict]
J.Baker Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: New York City, NY
I find I can get positive results by having students tap out challenging rhythms before playing them on the keyboard. The black & white topography and fingering issues add layers of difficulty on top of basic note counting.

Sometimes I will take students away from the keyboard - just two steps away to a table and with the score we practice taping and/or verbally counting out the music. When we then turn back again the issue is usually solved. Any problems from there on are uncertainty of fingering and distance between keys - and that can warp the rhythm and should be handled on its own terms. Very often so-called rhythmic problems are actually hand-technique issues left unresolved.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics