Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#17844 - 08/26/05 09:05 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
TeachinMama Offline

Loc: Ladysmith, Wisconsin
Yes, I think you're right on that. I've switched some students from Alfred into PA, and they do seem quite a bit easier. I think, though, that musically PA is far above any other method I've looked at. I mean students may know how to play more notes faster in others, but they don't really get to experience pedal color, for example. Also, I love the fact that PA begins right away working on technical things, like relaxation and arm weight that other methods don't seem to address. By the time a student gets to eighth notes, for example (much later than any other method) they are much better equipped to handle them effortlessly.

#17845 - 08/26/05 11:52 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
mirlou Offline
Resident Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I have been using PA for a year now. Maybe you're right about moving slower level by level, but my students are actually progressing a lot faster after I moved them to PA.

#17846 - 08/26/05 11:57 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
mirlou Offline
Resident Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Don't know if 'slow' is the right word for it. Maybe 'progressing smoothly' is better.

#17847 - 08/26/05 12:29 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
It might seem that PA moves slower than Alfred, but I think they make up for it later because they learn so much more.
On the other hand, I have put level one Alfred students in PA level one, and they have difficulty with that because they can only play in 2 positions and get very frustrated witb PA.
Maybe different methods stress different things so students have trouble moving from one to another until they have progressed out of lesson books.

#17848 - 08/26/05 02:20 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Whitney Offline
Resident Member

Loc: California
I've had the same situation, Susan. I've had several transfer students who started in Bastien or Alfred and they absolutely cannot read music in PA especially because they're not used to putting their fingers in all different places---they can usually only play in set positions and can only play primary chords in the LH. My students who have been in PA CAN read music from Alfred or Bastien but sometimes just have a hard time with the LH chords in Alfred and Bastien. Little hands aren't ready for those and I think Alfred and Bastien introduce way too many chords way too soon.

#17849 - 08/26/05 02:39 PM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Whitney:
My students who have been in PA CAN read music from Alfred or Bastien but sometimes just have a hard time with the LH chords in Alfred and Bastien. Little hands aren't ready for those and I think Alfred and Bastien introduce way too many chords way too soon.
Amen!

#17850 - 09/16/05 05:18 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
GeeTee Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
I just had a lesson w/ a student to whom I am trying the S & R book 2a. She's an 8th grader and is early intermediate level. Well, at the lesson, we did the unit 1 activities for the lesson and it didn't go too well. The ensemble piece totally fell apart. We worked it several times til it was close to ok.

She said (and marked) that she had done all 5 days activities as instructed. But I didn't know if I should continue with unit 2 or have her repeat unit 1. Sightreading afterall is supposed to be just that, and not necessarily "practiced", right??

If next week's lesson goes the same way, I may have to work thru each day's activities first before sending her home. This would then pretty much take up the whole lesson time.

I'm also encouraging her to work with a metronome on the rhythm activities (suggesting 3 dift. tempi from slow to moderate).

Suggestions??

#17851 - 09/16/05 05:39 AM Re: "Sight Reading & Rhythm"
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Maybe she didn't "really" do the activities or understand them? I have just handed out a bunch of these books(this week)-mostly 1A and 1B, but have not been through a week of the SR yet. They might look confusing to kids. Of course, they could READ the directions to each activity. It has been my experience that kids don't often do that. Even when music says LH over RH finger 2, they go what do I do? I hope these books will work, since I ordered and handed out about 10! It does defeat the purpose to have to go through each activity at lesson. Maybe a lower level for your student, GeeTee?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics